Documenting the experiences of a typical Midwesterner struggling to read the Qur'an, understand Islamic extremism and its effects on American politics.
Blogroll Me!
Email Qur'an Project

Archives

Links





Monday, October 11, 2004
Swing State
I am just getting back home. I spent some of last week until tonight in a midwestern swing state and it is sure more interesting than the area where I live. There were signs everywhere you looked for all candidates; I even saw some Libertarian and Green Party signs.

One discussion I had with some locals was very interesting. As a group, these folks were leaning toward Sen Kerry (D-France) because of the promise he made to the camera during the debate not to raise taxes on anyone making under $200,000/year. One gentleman said that he wanted to "get the rich" and another agreed saying that President Bush's tax cut was unfair because of the distribution (parroting Sen.Kerry's/Democrats' party line). I saw that I would not be able to make an argument based on the line of reason used by The President (Taxes hurt job creation etc), so I countered with a simple question. "If I gave you a gun and pointed out a rich man, would you rob him?" The answer was "no, of course not", so I asked them why would they send Sen. Kerry to do their dirty work? There was a number of puzzled looks and then realization...

Simple but effective. Next time you are confronted with the "Tax the Rich" meme, try this simple approach.


(c) 2004. Qur'an Project. All Rights Reserved

Syndicate Qur'an Project:

Blogger ATOM

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Listed on Blogwise