Documenting the experiences of a typical Midwesterner struggling to read the Qur'an, understand Islamic extremism and its effects on American politics.
Blogroll Me!
Email Qur'an Project

Archives

Links





Tuesday, March 09, 2004
Starting out
I am starting this new blog to chronicle my exploration of the Qur'an. As I set up the pages better, you will be able to view some information about my background and some personal details. I am not a religious man, nor am I an atheist. I would call myself a non-practicing Christian of the Protestant variety (I grew up Presbyterian). I am really nobody special, which makes me think that I represent a large number of Americans.

Why am I doing this? Well, thanks for asking!

I know almost nothing about Islam except what is reported in the news and on other blogs. I know a little about some Eastern religions from college courses I took and some about Judaism from study of my childhood religion's roots. I knew a few Hindus from working in a company that employed many people from India. I know a few Jewish people and only one practicing Moslem. The events of September 11th were a shock to me. I never realized (or cared really) how Americans were viewed in the Middle East. Since then, I have wondered what kind of religion could create such people as UBL and the hijackers.

Very soon afterward we were bombarded with messages that UBL and his followers were "extremists" and have interpreted the Qur'an in a very narrow and unrealistic way. So, the world had "good Moslems" and "evil Moslems", sort of like "good Christians" and "evil Christians". I didn't know what to believe, these reports or the video coming from all over the Middle East showing the celebrations in honor of the attacks. I decided to do some research and see if I could find out who was right and who was wrong about Islam.

Which leads me here. I decided that this is a good time as I have just finished my Bachelors Degree in Business and need an outlet for my newfound free time and I need to keep up the writing momentum.

I just got confirmation of shipment of my Amazon order for an English translation of the Qur'an and a book that purports to be a primer on Islam.

Here are the links (at Amazon) for the books I will be using: Qur'an Primer

As I read and learn, I will post my thoughts here.


(c) 2004. Qur'an Project. All Rights Reserved

Syndicate Qur'an Project:

Blogger ATOM

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Listed on Blogwise