Documenting the experiences of a typical Midwesterner struggling to read the Qur'an, understand Islamic extremism and its effects on American politics.
Blogroll Me!
Email Qur'an Project

Archives

Links





Wednesday, March 10, 2004
Since the primer book I ordered has not shown up yet, I thought I would dive right in to the Qur'an translation.

My initial thought was that this sounds somewhat familiar; Allah is all-powerful and all seeing. This jibes with my internal faith-o-meter as similar to what I was taught and what I expected.

On the first page, I find the first thing that is somewhat different. I will admit that it could very well be the translation or some sort of cultural difference, but I found the hair on the back of my neck standing up with the following verse: "This is the book: in it is guidance sure, without doubt, to those who fear Allah" [Qur'an 2:2]. My upbringing is that God loves, but I am well aware that many Christian faiths preach 'fire and brimstone' and use fear as motivation to stay on the straight and narrow.



(c) 2004. Qur'an Project. All Rights Reserved

Syndicate Qur'an Project:

Blogger ATOM

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Listed on Blogwise